The Navy follows strict guidelines and employs measures that reduce potential effects on marine species while training.
- Observe the area for marine mammals and sea turtles prior to activities.
- Post qualified Lookouts to visually observe for the presence of marine species within mitigation zones.
- Establish mitigation zones for marine species; cease activities until the animal exits the zone or other recommencement criteria are met.
- Navigate safely to avoid risk of collision with marine mammals and sea turtles.
- Implement geographic and seasonal mitigation measures by restricting some types of training in specific geographic locations and increasing mitigation efforts during certain times of the year to further avoid impacts on marine mammals and fishery resources.